Friday 31 August 2012

My beer is ready for you all to try! Get some

Ok I started this post 3 weeks ago, and am not just finishing it, ok its the same apart from a few things changed as they have become out of date. Next post will be my experiences with Beervana. More changes and preparation of starting my own brewing company.

Well it has been a long wait but on Wednesday the 8th of August my beer the Celia Wade Brown Ale was officially released at the Fork and Brewer (my old workplace) on tap and also at Thorndon and Island Bay New Worlds. To say I was excited would be a massive understatement.



Leading upto this date I had questions from everyone almost every day. The most common being when is your beer going to be released? I did not know exactly until about a week before hand. Unfortunately on the day of the launch I had a work event I could not get out of (as the last one of these events was on my birthday/homebrew party night). So I managed to turn up early then leave quickly, then literally forced to drink a bit at this work function, then race back as soon as I could. There were still plenty of people around when I got back, and I got some great feedback from people about my beer.

Now obviously a commercial scale of your home brew is always going to be hard to get it exactly the same. The Celia Wade Brown Ale made with Yeastie Boys at Invergarill Breweries has a lot more pronounced coffee flavours, and a lightly different bitterness. I have to say I liked my original beer but I really like this one as well. Some Comments I have got and thoughts I have had include:

- It tastes like chocolate covered coffee beans (which is what I got from the first Mikes Coffee Porter)


  • It was my favorite out of all 4, well I think that these people are just being nice, the other beers are very good, special mentions to the Garage Project Kawakawa Cable Car Classic that is a very cool unique Wellington idea and Parrot Dog Cooked Straight, I love smoked beers, and having a smokey pale ale is really risky, but you get a great smokey flavour then a very unique bitterness. The Bye Bye Blanket man, although simple is a decent golden ale with some nice Nelson Sauvin flavours coming through. Well done to everyone!



  • Ok another comment was that the coffee was too intense, I can understand that but I think once the beer warms up a little that the coffee gives way good soft hop bitterness and have a good linger.



  • For me I personally like it more that 8 wired double coffee double brown, maybe because it is 6% instead of 9% I feel that my one was more balanced. For this reason I am very happy with it. I can pat myself on the back as good as anyone but when it comes to brewing I can be my own biggest critic, so to say I prefer mine more than a similar beer from one of my favorite breweries makes me very happy.




  • A huge thanks to the Fork and Brewer for putting on a great night, the new management are doing a good job, I look forward to the brewery opening soon. The beer is close to gone at the F&B grab one there while you still can.



  • A huge thanks to the bars who are about to have my beers on soon. This includes Little Beer Quarter, LBQ one of the coolest bars around, they just turned one year old a while ago and they have always been awesomely supportive. The Malthouse currently have them in the bottle and they will be on tap soon, this bar is a Wellington institution. Bar Edward in New Town with the Rachael the lovely Duty Manger who I used with has had a keg come and go quite fast. Hashigo Zake have told me that they will have it on soon, this bar is probably the best beer geek bar in NZ, maybe in the southern hemisphere. I feel like I'm walking into Cheers bar whenever I am there.



  • Another huge thanks to Regional Wines and Spirits, New Zealands best beer store in New Zealand, with 20 taps! one of which is my beer! I went there and got a rigger (so did my little brother) of my beer to share around with my friends. They have 4 kegs of the CWB ale and I am sure they will go fast.



  • Thorndon New World and Island Bay New World thanks for selling the bottles, apparently they are selling really well! Awesome!



  • Biggest thanks Clemengers BBDO for organising the whole Wellington in a Pint idea. I know logistically it has not been easy but you have done a fantastic job and specifically to Cristin Waite for coming up with the idea and running with it. They have put incredible amounts of time and money into this project. Appologies to everyone who was looking forward to seeing my face on a billboard (haha still think that was funny), but it is just a photo of the beers.

Cheers for everybody's support.
There will be many more beers to come from me in the near future
Andrew Childs

4 comments:

  1. Good luck on your dream of having your own brewing company, Tall. My advice to you is to advertise your beer in any way that you can. Offer free samples to your customers too because word of mouth is a great way to get the word around about your new brew.

    Corey Glenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be your own pack horse, bro. Have you read Steve Beauchesne's (Beau’s All-Natural Brewing) blog on "How to Start a Brewery in 1 Million Easy Steps"? I suggest you do if you haven’t. It will help you. Most importantly, spend at least a few days hauling full sacks of malt and casks of ale. Make sure that they are up to the less romantic realities of the business.

    Rob Feckler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Rob. I saw this article you're speaking of awhile ago. Steve Beauchesne has a pretty sensible blog. By the way, I agree with the blog owner, I also think that an 8 wired double coffee, double brown is better.

      Jessie Henn

      Delete
  3. Hey Rob, thanks have been reading your blog, have not "How to Start a Brewery in 1 Million Easy Steps"? yet but it is defiantly on my list. Read "Brewing up a business" which is a great book.

    My new job entails setting up Co-laborations for Fresh Wort with breweries all over New Zealand, so getting some experience brewing with them. My past job involving lifting full kegs up stairs, and although it was hard work, I think doing the heavy lifting is worth it when it is your pride and joy.

    In New Zealand Contract brewing is a huge deal. Some of our most successful brewering companies are within other breweries. This is were I will start out and build a brand while I raise funds for my own brewery.

    Thanks for the advice :)

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete